Thursday 1 August 2013

Lentil and Celeriac stew


Hello......

Here's another one from the drafts folder while I'm away.  I try to eat a healthy organic whole food diet, with my illness,  The ME/Lyme disease has caused me to have lots of allergies and intolerances. So that means cooking most things from scratch.

This is recipe that gets made quite a lot, it great for cooking up a big batch and freezing. 'P' does most of the cooking, while I work out the Clare friendly recipes.  This one involves quite a lot of chopping, so if like me you have no energy, it's best to get someone to help you with this task.



Ingredients:
  • Brown Rice ( we'd run out here so had to use white)
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • 1/2 Red or Green Pepper
  • garlic 
  •  1/2 tsp Turmeric (a great natural anti inflammatory)
Soften the above in a little olive oil, then add
  • 200g of seasonal chopped root vegetable, I used
  • Carrot
  • Swede
  • Celeriac
  • Butternut Squash
  • Parsnips 
Add these to the pan and cook for a while to soften. Then add
  • 50g red lentils that have been rinsed
  • 1 skinned chopped Tomato
  • Vegetable stock to cover
  • bay leaf
  • Basil
Simmer for about 20 minutes or longer until the lentils and vegetable are cooked. Mean while cook the rice, just before serving add a squeeze of lemon juice for a final little lift.  


and Ta-Dah it's ready, dinner time.

As I mentioned earlier this freezes really well and if you forget to get it out the night before to defrost (like I often do ) you can cook it from frozen on the hob on a low heat. While you're cooking the rice.

If you like Spicy food, (which my gastritis can't cope with these days) you could easily spice this up a bit with curry powder, cumin and corriander seeds. But I like it just as it is.

Clare xx

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting dish. I am always looking for healthy, meat-less recipes. We do eat meat but we try to use it sparingly, both for health and budget. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly tasty for healthy food, I tend to eatt a mix these days as it's hard being veggie/vegan when you can't have yeast or dairy, now I eat chiken and fish occasionally. x

      Delete
  2. I can imagine this tasting great, but I have never used celeriac before, so I wonder what its flavor is like. This might just be the recipe to help me find out! Thanks for sharing, Clare.
    Gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for stopping by the summerhouse, I was a bit unsure about celeriac until I tried it, it's hard to describe the taste it like celery but not. I don't suppose that description of much help x

      Delete