Tuesday 5 November 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup


Hello.......... the photo's for this post have been sitting in my drafts file for a while now, I guess they were waiting for a rainy grey November day, the perfect day for some homemade soup.  This is a staple here at the Summerhouse during the winter months, if 'P' makes a roast chicken for Sunday lunch, the stock pot always goes on the stove afterwards to brew up some Chicken stock.

It's  something my Dad always did when we were growing up and I think it's really important to used all of the chicken up in this way. This is how we make chicken stock here, adding hot water, onions celery and carrots, garlic and mixed herbs and 2 bay leaves to the bones in the pot (plus any left over veg), then bubble it away on the hob, the longer the better.


So here's the recipe for Summerhouse chicken noodle soup.
(Luckily 'P' does all the chopping for me to save my energy levels and the painful joints in my hands)

Dice onion, carrot, pepper, celery, leek, courgette and garlic with some olive oil to browned in a pan
then add the chicken stock, mixed herbs and a bay leaf bring to the boil.
Add the left over chicken  and some salt and pepper, Top up with boiling water.
Simmer for about 15 minutes until the veg is cooked.
Then check the taste depending on you're stock you may need to add a stock cube or sometimes I add a spoonful of roast onion gravy granules to add flavour and thicken.(Mine are yeast free, as I'm intolerant)


Then add, a small can of sweetcorn and some fine egg noodles and cook for about 5 minutes 



and that's it, it's ready !!

Just a little Tamari or Soya Sauce to taste and it's time to grab a bowl of  yummy noodle soup.

You can add any vegetables you like, but I think the above fit well together, you could also add a bit of chili too, to spice things up. Sadly suffering from Gastritis I can't tolerate Spice anymore but if you can I say go for it :0)

There's nothing like a bit of comfort food on a cold rainy day.
This usually makes four portions, it freezes really well, so we always pop a couple of servings in the freezer.


Clare xx

7 comments:

  1. That looks really good. It's very different from the way I make chicken noodle soup and I love to see variations on the theme. Thanks for sharing your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks scrumptious Clare - I could go a bowl of that right now, thank you. Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, comfort in a bowl! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds delicious Clare xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks soooo yummy! Just perfect weather for a bowl of hot soup right now. Bon appetit!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm!!! It looks delicious, I make a lot of soup through the winter and will definitely put this one on my list. Thanks for sharing. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy yum, yum looks like such comforting wholesome food xx

    ReplyDelete