Friday 10 February 2017

Purple Leaf Cushion (take two)


Hello........... Today's post is a long awaited Ta-Dah, that dates back to the early days of the blog, yes I have been intending on making a purple leaf cushion with this yarn since 'here' yes that's right since 2013 !! 


Back then of course I was foolishly attempting to knit a cushion, this was long before I discovered crochet and it's lucky I did because my knitting is shockingly bad.  I persevered and it was only last  October that I finally called time on this make after yet another disaster.

A knitter I will never be...........


So I was left with a huge 400g ball of Hayfield bonus Aran, Plus some leaves I had somehow managed to knit.  I decided I still really wanted a cushion however I was just going to have to crochet mine.  !!!!

I decided to make a round cushion as it's so much easier with crochet and found a wonderful tutorial for a flat circle over at Attic24 'here'


Using a 5mm hook the circles worked up really quite quickly


something even full of lurgy my foggy brain could manage


I just kept adding rounds until


the circles were large enough for this 14 inch cushion pad, which I bought from amazon at the bargain price of less than £2.


I then simply crocheted the two half's together


Then it was all about whether to add a border or not, decisions decisions.....


In the end I opted for a simple 5 treble shell edging


Which really helped to neaten up the join.


I'd been playing around with so many design ideas, with the original knitted leaves.


here are just a few


In the end I just loved the rose leaf combo, I borrowed nicked some of the roses and leaves from my Autumn wreath, opps I'm going to need to replace them later in the year !!


and finally settled on a more is more look for my cushion, with a trio of Roses set amongst the leaves.


I then just had to stitch them in place


one by one until...........


Ta-Dah

My purple leave cushion was finished, completely different from what I originally set out to make but I got there in the end and I'm very happy with how it's turned out.

It's ready just in time for the Craft Club exhibition.
Happy Crafting
Clare xx

(who needs knitting anyway !!!)

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful cushion. Worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute cushion! I love the border you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I already told you on Instagram, I think it turned out beautifully. I admire your perseverance and I think the crochet version is very, very pretty. I also love your roses and leaves and think they are the perfect finish!
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cushion, a nice border to finish it off, and great colours. Well done! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi clare...i love the colors of the cushion, roses and especially the knitted leaves...a scallop border is always a favorite with me...a very lovely finish...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful Claire. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great, really show it off and enjoy the compliments. Jo x

    ReplyDelete