Monday 6 January 2014

Twelfth Night


Hello...... So we made it to 12th Night I hope you are all keeping warm and dry with all the terrible weather both here in the UK and the awful conditions in the US and Canada


The decorations have come down today, I've been itching for them to come down for a while now so we can really start the new year at last.

I love this time of year with all it's plans and ideas, that fresh start effect, that new year seems to bring. I'm even loving  how much bigger and brighter the lounge looks with the tree and decorations packed away.

I've been making plans and to do's for the year ahead, I made a list the other day of hopes and ideas  for the year and I had nearly a whole side of A4, so I thought I share a few of them here. My makes list has 15 items on it already and about half are WIP's...


The first one I need to get made is some seaside bunting, my final make for the local craft club exhibition, I made a start on it over the weekend. Cutting out some pennants and sewing on some seaside motifs, plus adding a bit of hand stitched detail.



I really need to get on with it though as the exhibition starts on the 8th of February eek


I was very fortunate to get quite a selection of colouring books for Christmas, perfect low energy creativity when I stuck in bed feeling too poorly to manage any crafting. 

 I received one very special colouring book, that I had a part in last year.  I'm a member of a Facebook Group for creative people who also suffer from Chronic illness. It really is a wonderful group and I have found so much support and friendship there from such a lovely super talented bunch of people. 

One of the many spins off projects from this group was a colouring book, another thing we did was a selfless portraits project where we all created a portrait of another member. There was also a calender for the keen photographers.

So I was so excited when the postman delivered my copy of the colouring book


and what did I find, but the first picture to colour was me !!! not my drawing but a portrait of me that was made for the portrait project, 'a colour you're own Clare' (which the artist created knowing my love of colouring)


Here's one of my drawing that is in the book. So I look forward to doing lots of colouring this year, as well as my lovely 'Secret Garden' colouring book and this I also have two Mandela colouring books to add to the mix.


Another quite urgent thing in the planning stages at the moment is I'm going to attempt to make a smaller version of my Springtime wreath for a charity auction, the deadline for that is the middle of February too, (eek do not panic Clare !!) but it would be lovely to be able to submit a mini wreath if I can get it done in time.


Another hope for this year is get my paints and art supplies out a bit more, I really enjoyed painting my Alice in Wonderland watercolours last year, so I've got a new sketch book to start and I'm looking forward to that, when my energy levels improve a bit.


I'm also planning on making at least one granny square a week, for my first every blanket.


Another thing that would be wonderful is to get back to playing the mandolin and guitar again and maybe record a few of my songs. If only my health would improve a bit.


So there are so many plans afoot but so little energy, but I'm staying positive and getting organised I've even set up a crafting draw in the bedside cabinet so I can easily get to my supplies, while stuck in bed.

Truth be told 2013 was a pretty awful year for me health wise, as my health has been slowly declining one relapse after another for the past few years.



 I don't really say a lot of detail about my illness on here, as quite frankly it's boring and depressing and I want my blog to be a Happy place, but I have plans afoot here too.  Yep I'm going to get started when I've finally shaken off this lurgy that I've been struggling with since the 6th December, yep that's a month now !! you see that's the problem with ME/Lyme disease a simple cold to most people is nuisance and nothing more but to someone who is ill like me it's a bit of a nightmare.

 For example, this lurgy I have at the moment, well, I got the cold a month ago, it started off normally sore throat etc but then a few days in it kinda got stuck, then my body produced it's version of a immune response, (but not the right one!!) as my GP said. Nope my bodies response to a cold was to cause several of my joints to become swollen hot and inflamed, arthritis style on top of all my other symptoms worsening. Yep at the moment my body is stuck in Inflammation overload mode but at least as of last weekend my cold has finally broken and I'm starting to get some proper cold like symptoms. 

So what I would say to you is, if you know someone with a ME or others conditions that effect the immune system please don't go near them if you have a cold, as it can make them very ill and put them in relapse for months.

So on a more positive note. I'm planning to try and see if a antinflammatory diet might help improve things.  I'm already back to eating a my usual organic wholefood food diet after the excesses of Christmas and taking herbal and traditional medicines to try and fight this.

You see getting stuck between a ME and Lyme Disease diagnosis in the UK  ( also sadly in lots of other places around the world is a tricky business) with little help or knowledge to be offered from the NHS. I really do feel all alone in this.

 My health is falling apart and nobody seems to be able or willing to help.  At the moment I'm waiting to see a Immunologist, he works for the NHS but due to local funding, I'm having to self fund to see him, I'm hoping he's going to be able to help, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much, based on the reaction from other consultants I've seen in the past. Who seem so frightened by the word Lyme Disease. One even once said to me, after I'd  travelled to London in Ambulance  as I was so ill, 'We don't do Lyme's here' I kid you not  I wish I could say that and it would all go away.

 So this year that's the plan I'm going to try all I can to get better. 

Well sorry that got a bit serious and depressing at the end, rest assured my normal happy crafty posts will be back next time. If you want to read a bit more you can find the post I wrote for ME awareness day 'here'

Linking up with Chrissie's Stitching Sundays and & stitches

Happt Crafty

Clare xx

34 comments:

  1. Hi Clare, thanks for your comment on my blog!

    Good to hear you are joining in the 1 square a week challenge, hope you enjoy it. I usually make small/medium sized projects so this is a big one for me!!

    Sorry to hear you have been so poorly, hopefully things will improve as we move on into the new year.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen like you I normally only do smaller makes so this will be a challenge
      Good luck with yours
      Clare x

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your health problems. I truly hope that 2014 is a better health year for you and that things do improve. Your crafty makes are lovely, especially your bunting. I hope that they are of some comfort and distraction to you and that you get them completed as you wish. Happy colouring in the meantime! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your crafty plans are wonderful. I am sure you will enjoy yourself all year. I love those Dover coloring books too, that's the kind I have for my "grown-up" coloring time. Would it be feasible for you to travel to the US to see a doctor about your Lyme Disease? It's a relatively common problem here, especially in the northeastern US, and I think you might be able to find good care/advice if you're able to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I think at the moment I'm proabably not well enough to travel, I have thought about it, but I'd have to do some seriuosly fundraising first and get myself as well as possible to travel, thanks for all the support hope the weather is treating you kindly
      Clare xx

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of one granny square a week, I usually get carried away though and keep going round to make a big blanket. The colouring books are great too. Happy new year clare I hope things improve. I read the ME awareness post and found it very interesting you seem to know much more than the NHS does.
    Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma thaks for your comment and for taking the time to read the very long ME post. Happy New Year
      Clare xx

      Delete
  5. Hello Clare, I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues, but I think your crafty plans for the year are brilliant espcially your drawing/painting and colouring. One a week crochet square is wonderful. I look forward to seeing your makes. Take care of yourself.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Clare. Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog recently, and for sharing your crafty plans with us here. It's good to have goals to aim for, not matter how big or small, as they keep us inspired and focused. I do hope 2014 is a good year for you health-wise.
    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for atopping by Gillian Happy New Year x

      Delete
  7. Oh Clare, bless your heart. It was not depressing, it was honest and that is refreshing. So many blogs are so full of happy and colorful projects all the time, they are not real. So as much as I wish you were not going through all of this now I can at least keep you in my prayers. Thank you for being honest with us.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith, I'm glad it didn't put you off I just started writing and thats what came out, I hadn't plan to write about my health troubles when I started the post. Thanks for you're kind words.
      Clare xx

      Delete
  8. Clare, I really appreciated this post. I am excited about your artistic pursuits...I got a Dover Monet coloring book and watercolor pencils just before Christmas and am eager to use them. Your personal coloring pages are sooo special :) I have been trying to follow an anti-inflamitory diet for two years because of arthritis in my knees. It definitely has decreased my discomfort. I have found that going gluten dairy and soy and caffeine free is important for me. I think I need to go grain free as well to help with my life long weight problem. For awhile I have been reading the blog http://christinelaennec.co.uk/ Christine's daughter has been combating ME and they have found medical support in Scotland, but with difficulty. I do not know what treatment they are using but perhaps you could encourage each other in this process. I am praying for your healing and cheering you on in your creative plans : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie, you're Monet colouring book sounds wonderful, Glad to hear changing you're diet has helped. I'm already part of they way there as already dairy, yeast and caffeine free, going to take things slowly being as kind to my body as I can. I will pop over and have a look at the blog you suggested thanks Happy New Year. xx

      Delete
  9. I enjoy coloring and bought myself The Secret Garden coloring book from Waterstones, last summer. Lovely bunting, good luck with your crochet blanket. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, I love my secret garden book too happy colouring
      Clare xx

      Delete
  10. Hello Clare great bunting looks really lovely I might like to make some of that for my coastal themed bathroom. Great idea thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the fabric with the seaside images came from Dunelm Mill.
      Clare x

      Delete
  11. Good morning from Alabama!! I like it when people are open and honest on their blog (as much as they want to be). Life is not always rainbows and unicorns. I am doing a square a day, (some in the group are doing a square a week, ripples, granny stripes) for a blanket also. It is a crochet mood blanket on Instagram. Everyday you do a square based on how you are feeling that day, special occasions squares etc. Turning out to be fun and theraputic as well. Hope you have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie thanks for stopping by, good luck with the blanket, I seen a few other making the mood blanket too. Sounds like it could be fun
      Clare xx

      Delete
  12. Sending lots of love and a big virtual hug. I am a bit lost for words actually, but didn't want that to stop me from posting to say I am thinking of you. Sending good, positive, colourful thoughts your way.
    Lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, despite everything I always try to stay positive and lose myself in some colourful craftiness if I can.
      Clare xx

      Delete
  13. Dear Clare
    I love your seaside bunting - so fresh and pretty and reminding us that summer isn't too far away... Sorry to hear about your health problems and hope that 2014 is a better year for you.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear that it hasn't been that great and my heart goes out to you as I really understand aspects of how frustrating it is to get help from the NHS. I have given up that ghost and I haven't been to a doctor for well over three years now, I know this can't be the same for you. I got help privately and got in touch with various different people until I found the people that I thought would help me. The difficulty is cost and whilst we can't work we have no money to fund these things. I think diet is a really sensible place to start and I know you are most probably fed up of me mentioning wheat, but the first thing that has to go is wheat and gluten in any shape or form, it is so toxic for ME bodies and also for Lyme's disease and it will at least give your body a little bit of support whilst it is struggling to cope with the rest of it all. The second is dairy and most importantly sugar. It is so rubbish when life is already so hard that we can't at least have these little pleasures, but these and I really have seen the improvements myself will make a great difference over time. If you want I can email you my nutritionist details. I have never met her, but we have done some rigorous testing, which has made such a difference to my health as I would have been oblivious to it all if I left it to the NHS to sort. Sorry for the very long message (oops!). Sending you much love sweetie and I am always just an email or even a phone call away xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie that would be great, my email is on the info page of the blog, I also left a message on the fab ME post you wrote the other day. As predicted it's all gone wrong again with the NHS the Immunologist won't see me, it seems crazy, been discussing fund raising ideas with friends today as I think I have no option but to try and save up and go private. Hope you are doing a bit better.
      Clare xxx

      Delete
  15. The bunting is precious and the coloring books look wonderful. How fun to be involved in the creation of one!
    I agree with other folks who already commented - I don't find the post depressing at all. I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday; it's so hard to read blogs sometimes and only see the highlights, and think "How good she has it." We don't know the lows and feel bad as a reader if we only see the pretty, wonderful, happy rainbow posts. We also don't know how to be supportive through thoughts, suggestions, and prayer if we don't know what folks need.

    Wishing you much success with your health and crafting efforts in this new year. I'm saddened to hear that getting help with your health is so difficult, but I love how you take it in your own hands and do what you can through your own research and proactive steps! Very inspiring, especially as I am learning to do this myself with a chronic disease. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melonie thanks for leaving such a lovely comment, it's really appreciated as I was so uncertain about the post when I wrote it, I think it's important to be honest but also I didn't want to bring everyone down so it good to hear that it been well recieved I wish you well with you health struggles
      Clare xx

      Delete
  16. I think you are amazing how many wonderful projects you have on the go, despite your illness. I love your bunting, and can't wait to see your spring wreath. And your drawing, with its mix of urban and country. I would love to see a coloured version of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you're lovely comment, I keep looking at the colouring book and wondering if I should colur it in, as it's so nice just to see everyones art work, but I guess that what it's for and I should just get my colours out.
      Clare x

      Delete
  17. Wicked cool that you are in a coloring book! So jealous. LOL

    Good luck with the Finish-Along

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blogg Clare and love it.it's twelve forty am and I must go to sleep and come back tomorrow to read its so inspiring and I love your wreaths the colours are gorgeous. You prob already know this but I know somebody who had M.E then they were diagnosed with Lyme disease and they were treated with antibiotics. After yrs of ill health their health returned to normal it was an amazing transformation.I think they had to be injected with the antibiotics and have a course for several months. I really hope u can find a cure I work with patients that have immune problems and long term illness I know it is very challenging. Good luck I cannot wait to revisit your bloggxx pippa pippa_moore1961@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete